Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Glimpse of What's to Come

Hello Everyone!

We are into our fourth week of rehearsals. Incredible. I spent the weekend trying to brainstorm concrete choreography to teach my dancers, but wasn't really satisfied with any of my creations. I came into this rehearsal with some ideas of movement without any real basis and hoped my dancers would be able to come up with something interesting. It worked amazingly well. I had mentioned my interests in using this "basket-carrying" imagery, and brought in Ghanaian baskets to my rehearsal. Working with the physical baskets was so successful, I might need to invest in more of them. I also brought in some African fabric that I thought might help realize some kind of "skirt dance." With the help of these props, my cast really took to some interesting (and gorgeous) styles of movement. Everything seemed to click. Below are videos of some more formalized choreographed ideas, as well as some playful moments may or may not be expanded on throughout this rehearsal process.

I have interests to incorporate some varied cultural influences into some of the movement. Intertwining these varied cultural perspectives with our familiar modern context will continue to make this piece more universal, I hope. I will discuss this with the cast at our next rehearsal.















No comments:

Post a Comment