Friday, January 14, 2011

New Demonstrators and a First Phrase


Hello! For the DanceWorks 2011 auditions, I have asked Molly (Senior) and Julie (Sophomore) of the GWU dance department to aid me as my two demonstrators. Luckily, they both agreed. We got together on Tuesday at 6pm to learn the short phrase I had prepared.

Initially, I taught a 32-count phrase. It was pretty rhythmic and specific and required both technique and artistry to be performed--two qualities I am looking for in my future cast. Individual expression is incredibly important to tell the story of the piece. Technique will help my cast understand my physical instincts.

After rehearsing the full dance phrase a few times, I realized it was slightly too difficult and too long. I cut it down to 24-counts and simplified the piece. I asked the demonstrators to practice both because I liked the more advanced version better and may expand on its ideas during my real rehearsals in the future.

I have posted Molly and Julie performing both versions.




No comments:

Post a Comment